The Borealis Suzuki Winds Institute (BSWI) is the the summer component of the Edmonton Suzuki Flute & Recorder Society program. The Institute is included at no extra charge for students registered in the ESFRS program. Suzuki flute and recorder students from outside the ESFRS program are also welcome to participate in the Institute.
The 2018 Institute will be held August 16 – 23, 2018.
There are a number of events which are open to the general public – you do not have to be registered as an Institute participant to attend the concerts and special presentations.
- Session 1 – August 16 – 20, 2018: Schoen Duo Studio
- 8937 79 Ave, Edmonton
- Session 2 – August 20 – 23, 2018: U of A, Faculty Saint-Jean
- 8406, rue Marie-Anne-Gaboury (91 Street)
- Monday Aug 20- student soloists and groups
- Teachers perform – date TBA
- “Busking Day” as part of the Edmonton Fringe Festival
- Thursday Aug 23 – student soloists and groups
- The Fourth Wall will be back at the Fringe, so we will have them back for another workshop like we did last year! Watch this space for details.
PROGRAMS FOR STUDENTS:
- session 1: Friday Aug.17 – Monday Aug. 20 – for recorder students only – with SAA Teacher Trainer Kathleen Schoen
- session 2: Monday Aug. 20 – Thursday Aug. 23 – for flute and recorder students
- masterclass,technique and improvisation,and repertoire class every day
- Monday evening / Thursday evening group & solo recital
PROGRAMS FOR TEACHERS:
SAA Teacher training: Unit 2 (Recorder) with Kathleen Schoen
- Thursday Aug. 16 (evening) – Monday Aug. 20
- The course will have a short session on Thursday evening in order to leave Sunday morning open.
Entrance Requirements: Suzuki Recorder teachers who have completed/registered ECC! and Unit 1 (or 1A and 1B) and have taught at least one year are eligible to take the course in their instrument area.
Prerequisite course for all teacher training in any instrument:
Every Child Can! is being offered in Edmonton on:
- January 21, 2018
- March 18, 2018
- June 10, 2018
- August 13, 2018
- register at this link: http://fluteplayer.ca/teacher-trainer/every-child-can/
And at other times throughout North America: https://suzukiassociation.org/events/course/ecc/
Fees & Registration:
More BSWI 2018 information will be posted as it becomes available. Specific timetable information is dependent upon enrolment, so that will be posted after registrations start coming in.