The Borealis Suzuki Winds Institute (BSWI) is the the summer component of the Edmonton Suzuki Flute & Recorder Society program. The Institute is included at no extra charge for students registered in the ESFRS program. Suzuki flute and recorder students from outside the ESFRS program are also welcome to participate in the Institute.
The 2020 Institute will be held August 13-20, 2020.
There are a number of events which are open to the general public – you do not have to be registered as an Institute participant to attend the concerts and special presentations.
- Session 1 – August 14 – 17, 2019: Schoen Duo Studio
- 8937 79 Ave, Edmonton
- Session 2 – August 17-20, 2019: U of A, Faculty Saint-Jean
- 8406, rue Marie-Anne-Gaboury (91 Street)
- Monday Aug 17- student soloists and groups
- Tuesday August 18 – “Busking Day” as part of the Edmonton Fringe Festival
- Wednesday August 19 – Teachers performance
- Thursday Aug 20 – student soloists and groups
PROGRAMS FOR STUDENTS:
- Session 1: Friday Aug.14 – Monday Aug. 17
- daily lessons and group classes with SAA Teacher Trainer Kathleen Schoen
- participation in performance events at Campus St. Jean Aug. 20 – 23
- Session 2: Monday Aug. 17 – Thursday Aug. 20
- instrument specific masterclass and mixed instrument group class (Creative Ability Development) every day
- participation in performance events
Register for student programs: [link available soon].
PROGRAMS FOR TEACHERS:
SAA Teacher training:
Suzuki Recorder Unit 3
with Kathleen Schoen
- Thursday August 13 (eve) – Monday August 17, 2020
- Register for this course [link available soon].
Fees & Registration:
- links will be available soon
Preliminary schedule information is on the calendar here.
Please note that teachers are expected to attend student classes, as class observation and possible practice teaching are part of the course requirements.
Individual timetables will be emailed with registration confirmations.